The Royal Albert Hall was built in 1867-1871 to the designs of Captain Fowke and it was completed by Major-General H Y D Scott. It was built to commemorate Prince Albert following his death in 1861. Constructed of red brick with buff terracotta in Italian Renaissance style, the hall is elliptical in plan and features a glazed domed roof. It is of five stages with two main tiers of windows. Those to the lower tier are square-headed and those to the upper tier are round-headed, with decorative pilasters in between. Above is a mosaic frieze of figures. Entrances to the hall are to the north, south, east and west within projecting two-storey porches with elaborate moulded pilasters. The hall features balustrades and a cornice.
As well as hosting the summer Proms concerts since 1941, the Royal Albert Hall has hosted a variety of different events including conferences, motor shows, sporting events and graduation ceremonies. From around 1907 until the outbreak of the First World War, the hall was also the site of many rallies and demonstrations staged during the campaign for women's suffrage
Between 1996 and 2004, a major programme of alterations was undertaken, costing £69.1 million. A major part of the project involved the excavation of a three-storey basement to create performers' dressing rooms and a loading area for stage, sound and lighting equipment. In addition, bars, lavatories, function rooms and offices were created, and the restaurant was extended. In 2008 one of the restaurants was remodelled and the following year, alterations were planned to create a multi-use space for small-scale performance.