You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

SCALEBY CASTLE

DESCRIPTION + /

Originally built in the late 13th century with a licence to crenellate granted to Sir Robert de Tylliol in 1307. It was mostly rebuilt in the 15th century and has a late 16th century wing built for Sir Edward Musgrave. Alterations took place in the late 17th century for William Gilpin and it was remodelled about 1838, probably by Thomas Rickman for the Fawcett family. The castle comprises buildings forming a L-shaped plan and includes a 4-storey, single-bay tower house, now in ruins, with a 3-storey, 3-bay great hall adjoining to south and projecting 2-storey open roof polygonal curtain tower, adjoining to the northwest. There is a northwest facing 2-storey gatehouse, with joining high curtain wall, enclosing small courtyard. The south range is at right angles to the great hall and is of 2 periods. The tower house has extremely thick chamfered plinth and chamfered string courses to each floor, chamfered lancet windows. The interior has remains of vaulted lower chamber, with remains of newel staircase in thickness of the wall, all other floors have gone and the walls are in ruins, probably as a result of destruction after the 1648 siege. The curtain tower has 15th century windows on the ground floor and chamfered lancets above;the wall was probably battlemented but is now in ruins. The courtyard wall has an inner gate giving access to tower house. The adjoining gatehouse has a round arch entrance with a recessed pointed arch. The interior has porters' lodges flanking the entrance with a portcullis room above. The great hall has a stepped entrance dated 1965.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.