Benedictine Priory of St Mary the Virgin, founded 1107 as a dependency of St Albans. It became independent in 1449 and was dissolved in1538. The Norman Priory church survives partially, together with the east arch of the chapter house, which is the only surviving part of the monastic quarters.
St Thomas a Becket's church contains much Medieval work and incorporates standing remains of the priory church (See photographs and guide). To the south of the church isolated masonry fragments are standing - the largest of which is the chapter house wall and window, and there is much surface evidence of former buildings. The major area of disturbance is amorphous, but identifiable remains have been surveyed.
Excavations along the route of a new water pipeline immediately to the south of Wymondham Abbey revealed evidence for pre-monastic activity as well as collapsed or demolished medieval structures and a monastic drain. A raised gravel bank and a square flint-lined feature full of burnt material were also assigned to the medieval period. A number of burials were excavated, indicating that the graveyard once extended beyond its present boundary.