Scales Hall, a fortified Manor House, with extensive farm buildings. The manor house was built in the late 15th century or early 16th century and a gatehouse and barn (possibly a bastle derivative) were added in the 1580/90s. It also has 17th and 19th century additions and alterations including a service wing.
The manor house is in a very good condition and part of the curtain wall and the gatehouse remain of its fortifications. It is built of large blocks of pink sandstone, with extensions of similar sandstone rubble. It has graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables and ball finials and large 17th century dressed sandstone ridge chimney stacks. It is two storeys and has four bays with flanking single-bay gabled cross wings. To the rear left, and forming an H-shape, is a two storey, four bay barn. This is also built of similar sandstone rubble and has a red sandstone slate roof. The gatehouse, also built of pink sandstone rubble with a greenslate roof, forms part of the fortified additions to Scales Hall. It probably dates to the1580s/90s and was built for the Southaik family.
Scales Hall with its curtain wall and gatehouse is an early and rare example of this type of fortified manor house in Cumbria.