Hut 7 formed part of the Government Code and Cipher School at Bletchley Park. It was built early in 1940 to house the Hollerith Section headed by Freddie Freeborn of the British Tabulating Machine Company. The Hollerith machines tabulated information which was involved in Enigma code breaking. This section occupied Hut 7 until construction of Block C in November 1942 (Monument HOB UID 1440047). From December 1942 Hut 7 was occupied by the Cryptography section of the Naval section, joined by the Japanese Section in 1943.
The Hut had been added to on several occasions and by the end of the war comprised a series of wooden structures and a rectangular brick built battery room which was built in 1943. The woodern structures were demolished sometime between 1948 and 1954. The battery room was altered during the1950s when it was part of the Teacher Training College.