Church of Saxon origin, but mostly early C15. This, the parish church, stood to the North of, and very close to, the Abbey church, there being very little space between the abbey church's North transept and the parish church's South chapel. Six-unit plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, north and south aisles with single bay chapels at the east end of each, north porch, south vestry and west tower.
There was a minster at Muchelney before the Abbey became a Benedictine monastery circa 937. The Abbey gained possession of the parish church in 1228 at the same time as it gained the rights of the minster, (see ST42SW27).