You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print   | More

NEW HALL

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  NEW HALL
DESCRIPTION + /

New Hall, now a Catholic School, was acquired by Henry VIII in 1516. He bought the medieval house from Sir Thomas Boelyn and ordered construction of the royal palace just one month before the birth of his first child, Princess Mary. He renamed it Beaulieu Palace, however the name never outlived his reign. The quadrangular palace Henry built was one of his biggest works. In 1523 a garden was laid out at New Hall which in 1530 was referred to as the 'great garden of Beaulieu'. Between 1737 and 1764 New Hall underwent substantial demolition which included the hall and chapel. In 1798 it was purchased by the Canonesses of the Holy Sepulchre for conversion to a convent and school and continues as such to this day. The building was bombed in 1943 and was subsequently repaired. The building was also extensively added to and altered in the 20th century. The only surviving fabric of the palace built by Henry VIII consists of part of the wall at the east end of the house and a carved stone panel.

The present building is of red brick and consists of a long range, formerly the north side of the quadrangle, with smaller wings at each end and a small courtyard on the east side with 18th century ranges on the east and south.

In 2009 a three day archaeological excavation carried out by Time Team exposed remains of what is considered to have been Princess Mary's nursery wing, as well as an imposing gatehouse and the chapel.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.