You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

EYLESBARROW TIN MINE

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  WHEAL RUTH
DESCRIPTION + /

A tin mine which was first expoited in 1814 and is situated within an area which has been worked for tin since the 16th century. Production took place until 1831, reopening in 1835. In 1847 parts of the mine were reorganised. The mine's name was changed to Wheal Ruth in 1851. Work had stopped in 1852 except for Wheal Katherine, which was part of this sett which continued working until 1856.

An archaeological field survey by English Heritage found the majority of the mine remains located on the southwestern slopes of Eylesbarrow. Wheal Katherine was situated at the upper end of the Plym Valley. The surface evidence for underground mining comprises 24 shaftheads and 4 adits. Power for pumping the underground levels was initially provided by a waterwheel (Monument HOB UID 1300630) which drove two flatrod systems powering pumps located in shafts further up the hill to the east. From 1848 motive power was provided by a larger 50ft waterwheel (Monument HOB UID 1300628) supplying power via new flatrods to shafts. Balance Bob pits survive on several of the shafts and others have remains of whim plats. Six dressing floors were also recorded, these were aligned along the Drizzlecombe Valley. A smelting house (Monument HOB UID 1300551) contained both a blast and reverberatory furnace and was operating between 1822 and 1831. A series of ancillary buildings associated with the mine also survive (Monument HOB UID 1300619). Water to power the wheels and other processes was diverted from the River Plym and its upper tributaries via two leats and an exceptionally large storage reservoir contained the water (Monument HOB UID 1300605).

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.