An Anglo-Palladian country house built in 1727-32 by James Gibbs for William Hanbury. Alterations were made during the 19th century and included construction of the ballroom in 1828, and a range of Victorian additions. Some Victorian work was demolished in 1956 when Sir Albert Richardson, restored the building to its original early 18th century appearance.
The house is constructed of red brick with ashlar dressings with a mansard roof. It is of seven bays and two storeys with two linked pavilions which curve around each side of the entrance forecourt known as the Bull Ring. The nearby late 18th century orangery actually originally stood at Brixworth Hall and was moved to Kelmarsh during the 20th century.